[GE users] Select multiple CPUs without PE ?

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Thu Aug 31 15:33:15 BST 2006

Barry McInnes wrote:
> Hi,
> We are moving from PBS on Suns with 8 cpus, which has an option "ncpus"
> so users can allocate n cpus for multiple single cpu runs within a
> single job within any queue. So in one script they select 4 cpus, then
> run 4 single CPU processes (non MPI).
> Is there an option to do this in SGE without setting up PE ?

If you want all 4 CPUs on the same box, then you really need to set up a
PE.  Here's what one I use:

[sean at master1 sean]$ qconf -sp threaded
pe_name           threaded
slots             1024
user_lists        NONE
xuser_lists       NONE
start_proc_args   /bin/true
stop_proc_args    /bin/true
allocation_rule   $pe_slots
control_slaves    FALSE
job_is_first_task TRUE
urgency_slots     min

With that setup, if someone requests '-pe threaded 4'  then it will give
them 4 slots, all on a single machine.  That sounds like what you're
asking for.