[GE users] Fair share config, fill-up hosts and max user slots

Jean-Paul Minet minet at cism.ucl.ac.be
Mon Jan 2 08:26:21 GMT 2006

Reuti,

>> 1) use fair-share scheduling with equal shares for all users
>>

> you mean like in 5.3? Here:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg? listName=users&msgNo=8319

No.  We don't want to use functional policy, but just faire share (half time of
14 days, usage based mostly on CPU (85%), with a small memory contribution).

Jean-paul

>> I have disabled Priority and Urgency scheduling, and set policy
>> hierarchy to S.:
>>
>> lemaitre ~ # qconf -ssconf
>> algorithm                         default
>> halftime                          336
>> usage_weight_list                  cpu=0.848000,mem=0.152000,io=0.000000
>> weight_tickets_functional         0
>> weight_tickets_share              10000
>> policy_hierarchy                  S
>> weight_ticket                     1.000000
>> weight_urgency                    0.000000
>> weight_priority                   0.000000
>>
>> Under the share tree policy, I have only defined a default leaf  under
>> which all users appear, but "Actual resource share" and  "Targeted
>> resource share" remain 0 for all users, as if actual  usage was not
>> taken into account?  This is confirmed by jobs being  dispatched more
>> like in FIFO order than following past usage.  What's wrong?
>>
>> 2) limit the total number of CPUs/slots used by any user at any  time:
>> MaxJobs/User doesn't help as a single MPI job can use many  slots and
>> therefore cannot compare to a sequential job.  How can we  implement
>> this?
>>
>> 3) fill-up hosts with sequential jobs to leave as many empty nodes
>> for OpenMP and MPI jobs.  I have read Stephen G. WebL Log: am I
>> correct in assuming that I have to define a complex_values slots=2
>> for each of the biproc host (we don't want more jobs than CPU) and,
>> thereafter, the scheduler will select the hosts with the least
>> available slots (setting of course queue_sort_method=load and
>> load_formula=slots) ?
>>

> Correct. - Reuti
>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
>> Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul Minet
Gestionnaire CISM - Institut de Calcul Intensif et de Stockage de Masse
Université Catholique de Louvain
Tel: (32) (0)10.47.35.67 - Fax: (32) (0)10.47.34.52