[GE users] Fair share config, fill-up hosts and max user slots

Tue Jan 3 09:34:47 GMT 2006

Jean-Paul Minet wrote On 12/23/05 11:39,:

>Hi,
>
>Our bi-proc cluster is used for sequential, OpenMP and MPI jobs.  We wish to:
>
>1) use fair-share scheduling with equal shares for all users
>
>I have disabled Priority and Urgency scheduling, and set policy hierarchy to S.:
>
>lemaitre ~ # qconf -ssconf
>algorithm                         default
>halftime                          336
>usage_weight_list                 cpu=0.848000,mem=0.152000,io=0.000000
>weight_tickets_functional         0
>weight_tickets_share              10000
>policy_hierarchy                  S
>weight_ticket                     1.000000
>weight_urgency                    0.000000
>weight_priority                   0.000000
>
>Under the share tree policy, I have only defined a default leaf under which all
>users appear, but "Actual resource share" and "Targeted resource share" remain 0
>for all users, as if actual usage was not taken into account?  This is confirmed
>by jobs being dispatched more like in FIFO order than following past usage.
>What's wrong?

Hm.. that sounds like a bug. But I am pretty sure, that it is not. Could
you post
the entire scheduler configuration, the share tree configuration and the
qstat -ext
output?

Thanks.

>2) limit the total number of CPUs/slots used by any user at any time:
>MaxJobs/User doesn't help as a single MPI job can use many slots and therefore
>cannot compare to a sequential job.  How can we implement this?

You can limit the number of slots a pe can utilize in the pe
configuration. However,
you cannot limit the number of slots a user can utilize.

Cheers,
Stephan