[GE users] np_load_avg too low

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Tue Jan 3 15:15:11 GMT 2006

Roch Belisle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently having problems with the load average on 2-cpu Itanium
> nodes.  Whether I submit jobs for 1 or 2 CPU's the load average never
> goes above 1.  This is understandable for a single cpu machine but when
> I have jobs running on 2 cpu's the load average should be much
> higher (~2).  This also prevents me from queueing other jobs if the load average is

That's the expected behavior.

np_load_avg takes the 5 min load average, then divides it by the number
of CPUs on the box.  So when it says '1' for your dual-cpu box, the 5
min load average is really 2.  But because of the 'np_', SGE then
divided it by the CPU count (2) to get the number 1.

If you want the real 5-min load average, use 'load_avg' instead of
'np_load_avg'.