[GE users] Fair share config, fill-up hosts and max user slots

Thu Jan 5 10:55:21 GMT 2006

Hi Jean-Paul,

I just did the test with the env you describe. I am sure, that you found
a bug. In my tests, the
targeted resource share is allways 0 as you describe it. However, the
actual resource share
is reported correctly.

Cheers,
Stephan

Jean-Paul Minet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our bi-proc cluster is used for sequential, OpenMP and MPI jobs.  We
> wish to:
>
> 1) use fair-share scheduling with equal shares for all users
>
> I have disabled Priority and Urgency scheduling, and set policy
> hierarchy to S.:
>
> lemaitre ~ # qconf -ssconf
> algorithm                         default
> halftime                          336
> usage_weight_list                 cpu=0.848000,mem=0.152000,io=0.000000
> weight_tickets_functional         0
> weight_tickets_share              10000
> policy_hierarchy                  S
> weight_ticket                     1.000000
> weight_urgency                    0.000000
> weight_priority                   0.000000
>
> Under the share tree policy, I have only defined a default leaf under
> which all users appear, but "Actual resource share" and "Targeted
> resource share" remain 0 for all users, as if actual usage was not
> taken into account?  This is confirmed by jobs being dispatched more
> like in FIFO order than following past usage. What's wrong?

> 2) limit the total number of CPUs/slots used by any user at any time:
> MaxJobs/User doesn't help as a single MPI job can use many slots and
> therefore cannot compare to a sequential job.  How can we implement this?
>
> 3) fill-up hosts with sequential jobs to leave as many empty nodes for
> OpenMP and MPI jobs.  I have read Stephen G. WebL Log: am I correct in
> assuming that I have to define a complex_values slots=2 for each of
> the biproc host (we don't want more jobs than CPU) and, thereafter,
> the scheduler will select the hosts with the least available slots
> (setting of course queue_sort_method=load and load_formula=slots) ?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Jean-Paul

Sun Microsystems GmbH           Stephan Grell
Dr. Leo-Ritter-Str. 7           Software Engineer
93054 Regensburg                Phone: (+49 941)3075 226
Germany                         Fax:   (+49 941)3075 222
http://www.sun.com/grid         mailto:stephan.grell at sun.com