[GE users] Fair share config, fill-up hosts and max user slots

Jean-Paul Minet minet at cism.ucl.ac.be
Thu Jan 5 13:19:19 GMT 2006

Stephan,

> I just did the test with the env you describe. I am sure, that you found
> a bug. In my tests, the
> targeted resource share is allways 0 as you describe it. However, the
> actual resource share
> is reported correctly.

so there is still another problem...  Is the fact that users and departments
were entered manually (corresponding to unix users and groups) a problem?  I
assume setting up a functional structure (users in department) is not
incompatible with fair share policy with a single "default" leaf, isn't?

I forgot to mention that combined usage also remains =0.

I also tried with a test leaf under which I include two specific users (to get
rid of any problem which could be linked to the "default behavior"), but I still
obtain 0 values in all three fields (actual/targeted resource share and combine
usage).

A bit puzzled...

Jean-Paul

> Cheers,
> Stephan
>
> Jean-Paul Minet wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Our bi-proc cluster is used for sequential, OpenMP and MPI jobs.  We
>> wish to:
>>
>> 1) use fair-share scheduling with equal shares for all users
>>
>> I have disabled Priority and Urgency scheduling, and set policy
>> hierarchy to S.:
>>
>> lemaitre ~ # qconf -ssconf
>> algorithm                         default
>> halftime                          336
>> usage_weight_list                 cpu=0.848000,mem=0.152000,io=0.000000
>> weight_tickets_functional         0
>> weight_tickets_share              10000
>> policy_hierarchy                  S
>> weight_ticket                     1.000000
>> weight_urgency                    0.000000
>> weight_priority                   0.000000
>>
>> Under the share tree policy, I have only defined a default leaf under
>> which all users appear, but "Actual resource share" and "Targeted
>> resource share" remain 0 for all users, as if actual usage was not
>> taken into account?  This is confirmed by jobs being dispatched more
>> like in FIFO order than following past usage. What's wrong?
>

>> 2) limit the total number of CPUs/slots used by any user at any time:
>> MaxJobs/User doesn't help as a single MPI job can use many slots and
>> therefore cannot compare to a sequential job.  How can we implement this?
>>
>> 3) fill-up hosts with sequential jobs to leave as many empty nodes for
>> OpenMP and MPI jobs.  I have read Stephen G. WebL Log: am I correct in
>> assuming that I have to define a complex_values slots=2 for each of
>> the biproc host (we don't want more jobs than CPU) and, thereafter,
>> the scheduler will select the hosts with the least available slots
>> (setting of course queue_sort_method=load and load_formula=slots) ?
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
>> Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul Minet
Gestionnaire CISM - Institut de Calcul Intensif et de Stockage de Masse
Université Catholique de Louvain
Tel: (32) (0)10.47.35.67 - Fax: (32) (0)10.47.34.52