[GE users] filesystem sharing across multiple architectures - for submission hosts

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jan 5 18:21:54 GMT 2006

Hi,

Am 05.01.2006 um 16:12 schrieb Paul Osborne:

> I have a cluster of machines all Solaris x86 and would like to be
> able to submit jobs on this cluster from another host that is a
> different architecture (Solaris sparc) that is not going to be
> executing any jobs
> itself.
>
> I merely want to be able to do :  qsub myjob and it goes and runs
> elsewhere. However this job must be a binary running on the cluster.
>
> My question relates to the level of filesystem awareness that needs
> to be available from the cluster to the submission host.
>
> For example:
>
> on the submit host say (as an example no more) I have in my home
> dir a shell script containing:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/local/bin/mybinary    --  where this binary is Solaris x86 and is
>                                installed on the cluster machines - but
>                                NOT on the submission host.
>
> The shell script is deliberate as I want to set up wrappers for jobs.
>
> If I then do:  qsub ~/myscript   (which is the one above),  is the
> qsub going to submit the script and then that script will call the
> binary as installed on the cluster,  or is it going to attempt to
> call the binary
> off the submission host and pass that to the cluster?

yes, the former is true. It will just take the one it founds on the
execution hosts first in it's local search path $PATH or defined by
your absolute path - local on the exec host in your case. As we have
x86 and amd64 in a cluster, but the application software for my users
should be in a central location, I created directories like:

/opt/chemsoft/lx24-x86/g03-c.02/...
/opt/chemsoft/lx24-x86/molpro2002.6-74/...
/opt/chemsoft/lx24-amd64/g03-c.02/...
/opt/chemsoft/lx24-amd64/molpro2002.6-74/...

shared to all nodes, so that the users just have to specify
applications as:

/opt/chemsoft/$ARC/g03-c.02/g03/g03

in their scripts and always end up with the correct binary on the
exec nodes (and I have just one filesystem to export for the
applications).

HTH - Reuti