[GE users] filesystem sharing across multiple architectures - for submission hosts

Thu Jan 5 18:31:47 GMT 2006

Paul,

When you submit your job, Grid Engine will send the submitted script
along with the job, but not any scripts or binaries referened from the
submitted script.  So, for your example, the /usr/local/bin/mybinary
will have to be available only on the execution hosts.  Whatever version
may exist on the submission host is ignored.

Daniel

Paul Osborne wrote On 01/05/06 16:12,:

>I have a cluster of machines all Solaris x86 and would like to be able
>to submit jobs on this cluster from another host that is a different
>architecture (Solaris sparc) that is not going to be executing any jobs
>itself.
>
>I merely want to be able to do :  qsub myjob and it goes and runs
>elsewhere. However this job must be a binary running on the cluster.
>
>My question relates to the level of filesystem awareness that needs to
>be available from the cluster to the submission host.
>
>For example:
>
>on the submit host say (as an example no more) I have in my home dir a
>shell script containing:
>
>#!/bin/sh
>/usr/local/bin/mybinary    --  where this binary is Solaris x86 and is
>                                installed on the cluster machines - but
>
>                                NOT on the submission host.
>
>The shell script is deliberate as I want to set up wrappers for jobs.
>
>If I then do:  qsub ~/myscript   (which is the one above),  is the qsub
>going to submit the script and then that script will call the binary as
>installed on the cluster,  or is it going to attempt to call the binary
>off the submission host and pass that to the cluster?
>
>I am hoping that the former is true as then I do not need to worry about
>having filesystems of binaries that are not going to work available to
>the users of the submission host (should they try and run them by hand)
>and also I then have less crossmounted filesystems between hosts and so
>things are a little less complicated from a systems management point of
>view.
>
>Thanks for your time.
>
>Paul

*        Daniel Templeton   UMPK18 x83749         *
*       Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine        *
*   An "intellectual" is a man who takes more     *
* words than he needs to say more than he knows.  *
*                       -Dwight D. Eisenhower     *