[GE users] filesystem sharing across multiple architectures - for submission hosts

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Jan 5 21:05:10 GMT 2006

the submit host and exec host's architectures are irrevelant, the only
thing that matters is that the commands being executed are avialable on
the exec hosts. your setup is pretty much the same as mine, the submit
hosts are solaris/sparc servers and the exec hosts are debian linux/x86.
   all the submit host does is deliver the job to the qmaster.

think of it in terms of how email is sent because it is similiar. your
email client is the submit host, the smtp host is the qmaster, and the
exec host is the recipient. the job you submit is relayed by the qmaster
to the exec host where execution takes place.

Paul Osborne wrote:
> I have a cluster of machines all Solaris x86 and would like to be able
> to submit jobs on this cluster from another host that is a different
> architecture (Solaris sparc) that is not going to be executing any jobs
> itself.
>
> I merely want to be able to do :  qsub myjob and it goes and runs
> elsewhere. However this job must be a binary running on the cluster.
>
> My question relates to the level of filesystem awareness that needs to
> be available from the cluster to the submission host.
>
> For example:
>
> on the submit host say (as an example no more) I have in my home dir a
> shell script containing:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/local/bin/mybinary    --  where this binary is Solaris x86 and is
>                                installed on the cluster machines - but
>                                NOT on the submission host.
>
> The shell script is deliberate as I want to set up wrappers for jobs.
>
> If I then do:  qsub ~/myscript   (which is the one above),  is the qsub
> going to submit the script and then that script will call the binary as
> installed on the cluster,  or is it going to attempt to call the binary
> off the submission host and pass that to the cluster?
>
> I am hoping that the former is true as then I do not need to worry about
> having filesystems of binaries that are not going to work available to
> the users of the submission host (should they try and run them by hand)
> and also I then have less crossmounted filesystems between hosts and so
> things are a little less complicated from a systems management point of
> view.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Paul

Darin Perusich