[GE users] How delete unused host

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Jan 9 13:17:40 GMT 2006

Hi Marcel,

Am 06.01.2006 um 19:26 schrieb Marcel Mohr:

> Hello
>
> I'm a new user of SGE in a small (8Computer) Cluster environment,
> with network booting clients. It works, but as I try to be perfect
> (;-) ) there are some small things, that could be improved.
>
> Main concern
> I cant get a host out of the queue. The host is not existing
> anymore, if i try do delete the host i get
> "Host object "david001.ltsp" is still referenced in cluster queue
> "s"."
> Even with a restart it is still there.

is the machine still in a hostgroup? It might be necessary to add it
temporarily to /etc/hosts to remove it from SGE and delete the entry
again.

> Besides i got some other questions:
> 1.) Is it possible to increase the column size for some values
> (esp. JobName and Queue) in qstat and qmon ?

for qstat, you can use the "status" script from:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList (last
item). If anyone is interested: I recently modified this script, so
that jobnames longer than 25 characters will be shortend in the
middle. As we are calculating variations of molecules, often the
changes are an index at the end and the middle is less important.

For qmon:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?
msgId=9904&listName=users

> 2.) The host with qmaster running is a NFS Server for all exec
> hosts. Not only therefore i want this one, to be the last computer,
> on which jobs should be run.

Do you want to run jobs on the head node at all? If you don't intend
to do so, you can remove it from the list of execution hosts and stop
the execd there (so no need to start it if you start the machine -
just the sgemaster).

-- Reuti