[GE users] How delete unused host

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Jan 9 14:39:03 GMT 2006

Am 09.01.2006 um 15:05 schrieb Marcel Mohr:

> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Reuti wrote:
>
>>> Main concern
>>> I cant get a host out of the queue. The host is not existing
>>> anymore, if i try do delete the host i get
>>> "Host object "david001.ltsp" is still referenced in cluster queue
>>> "s"."
>>> Even with a restart it is still there.
>>
>> is the machine still in a hostgroup? It might be necessary to add
>> it temporarily to /etc/hosts to remove it from SGE and delete the
>> entry again.
> It is still in /etc/hosts but is physically not existant anymore. I
> can't delete it from the host group. I get the error from above.

What is

qconf -sq s

showing? And:

qstat -f

>> Do you want to run jobs on the head node at all? If you don't
>> intend to do so, you can remove it from the list of execution
>> hosts and stop the execd there (so no need to start it if you
>> start the machine - just the sgemaster).
>
> No, not really at all. But I would like to first fill all nodes
> with jobs, and at last use the head node.
> I solved it now, with adding a second queue with only the head node
> in it, and using a larger sequence number than the other queue.

You could also give the queue instance for the head node a higher
sequence number:

seq_no 0,[myheadnode=10]

and change in the scheduler:

queue_sort_method                 seqno

This way first fill (still according to the load) the queue instances
on the nodes, then the headnode. If you have dual CPU machines, you
could even limit just on the headnode slots to look like:

slots 2,[myheadnode=1]

-- Reuti