[GE users] Globus or not to Globus?

Stefan.O.Nordlander at astrazeneca.com Stefan.O.Nordlander at astrazeneca.com
Tue Jan 10 13:12:31 GMT 2006

I'm wondering what the simplest possible way would be to connect three
clusters using SGE. Nevermind user accounts or shared home directories etc.
Would it be possible to somehow make the other SGE installations aware of
each other.

Basically what we need is a way to send jobs from any workstation on site A
to the cluster at site A, B or C. It would be ok for the user to copy the
files manually. And the authentication is done through ldap on all sites.

Globus seems complicated at a first look. Certificates, proxy, grid-ftp and
the lot. Still I understand the benefits of having a 'grid'. Has anyone any
experience with GT4 and SGE6? How difficult is it to set up?

Is there any added complexity for the users to submit jobs through globus
compared to the regular 'qsub'. Does the user have to make an xml file to
transfer files with gridftp or is there a simpler way?

Thanks,
/Stefan