[GE users] Globus or not to Globus?

Wed Jan 11 14:34:08 GMT 2006

Stefan.O.Nordlander at astrazeneca.com wrote On 01/11/06 10:09,:

>Hi Stephan and thanks for your reply,
>
>could you please explain that a bit further? Why would that be a problem? I
>understand the benefits of Globus (authentication and file staging etc.) but
>that would be the next step. If we already had a common ldap and nfs over
>resonable bandwidth how would one go about joining three clusters? Would the
>$SGEHOME have to be exported over NFS to all sites? And I guess that all
>hell would break loose if that connection would be lost?

It depends of what the requirement on your side is. We have a howto that
describes the usage of Grid Engine without NFS. The most convinient way
would be to have one master that is accessable from all hosts and which data
is shared via NFS. Next would be a central user administration.

Assuming that that is all in place, one grid engine could than manage
all the hosts,
which are now devided up into three grids.

However, if the infrastructure does not allow to join everything in one
big thing, you
will need to setup Globus.

Stephan