[GE users] Interaction between Exec-Host Fixed Attributes and Queue Values/Complexes

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jan 12 12:43:01 GMT 2006

Sebastian,

Am 12.01.2006 um 10:02 schrieb Sebastian:

> Hi,
>
> i tried to make some definitions with complexes to make the SGE
> work like we
> like it.
>
> But it doesn't work an because of this i have some questions that i
> understand the connection between all the managable values.
>
> I think the highest instance is the host with his fixed attributes.
> If in the queue things like slots are defined, this overwritte the
> value
> given by the host, right?

both are taken into account. If you e.g. simply attach the complex
slots also to each exec host with a value of 2, the lower limit will
always be used to fill the queue or host with jobs.

> I tried following to have one queue, which only can run 1 Job per
> Node (Dual
> Core Node, that means 2 Slots per Node, right?), and a secound
> queue, which
> can always put 1 Job on each Node to a running, that maximum 2 Jobs
> can run.
>
> I defined each host with a slot-count of 4.
> I defined a complex "myslots" similar to slots.
> I defined each host with a myslots-count of 2.
>
> Now i made two queues, the one named "normal.q", which can always
> just run 1
> Job per Node and a second, which named "test.q", which can put a
> second job
> on each node.

If you attach the same PE to two queues, you might get a mixture of
slots from different queues for this parallel job (unless you request
a queue for execution explicitly). But the SGE idea is to request
resources with qsub, and SGE will select a suitable queue for your
job to run in.

> Now i defined both with a PE lam1 which has 999 Slots (this is just
> for this
> test).
> Both queues have 2 Slots per Node and the queue normal.q has the
> complex
> myslots=2.
>
> Now i thougt, this can work, but it doesn't.
> Is there an error in reasoning or why doesn't this work?

I still didn't got your intended this setup. - Reuti