[GE users] Job suspend and subordinate queue

Yann Costes yann.costes at u-cergy.fr
Fri Jan 13 17:42:22 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I use Grid Engine 6.0u6 on beowulf cluster made of Linux AMD64 computers
and I have 2 questions :
1) max jobs/user is used on my site. When someone gains its max jobs
number, is there a way for this user to suspend on of his job to make
running quickly a new job  ? I have made a trial with the command "qmod
-sj" but the suspended job still has a "r" status flag and the new job
is always in "qw" status.
2) on my site, a queue "seq_long" executing only sequential jobs is
subordinate to another queue "para_long" executing parallel jobs. Inside
the para_long queue, I have defined two parallel environements : openmp
(for OpenMP jobs) and mpi (for MPI jobs). A parallel job using just one
host (for OpenMP jobs) always succeeds to make suspend one instance
queue of seq_long. However, when a parallel job needs several hosts, no
instance queue of seq_long is suspended to make running the parallel job.

Any solution to these problems ?

Thanks in advance.

Yann