[GE users] Scheduling Setup

Brady Catherman bradyc at uidaho.edu
Fri Jan 13 20:04:00 GMT 2006

Nono! SGE is awesome! It works well for us.. Our problem is that we
have a very wide assortment of programs that are running and that
leads to user grief. We have some programs that run for months and
consume 1 slot and others that run for minutes and consume 100. Our
issue right now is that programs want to consume entire nodes but we
have just enough long running jobs peppered through the cluster to
prevent much of that form happening.

What I was thinking about doing was setting up several queues.
1/4 of the cluster can run jobs with no maximum time.
1/4 of the cluster can run jobs with a 7 day deadline.
and 1/2 of the cluster can run jobs that will run at most 24 hours.
Jobs would also be allowed to run in "longer" queues if they are
available.

This cleans up the processes that are running and tries to keep nodes
free for the snort benchmark like programs.

Before I can tweak with things though I have to find out what other
people are doing to solve scheduling problems.

We would like to keep our system convenient for users whils still
allowing for lots of flexibility from our power users. (We have
parallel programming researchers, bioinformatics users as well as
graphics and rendering users.. Finding a happy balance that allows
all these environments to live together is harder than you would
think =)