[GE users] Personalizing email info on -M option

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Jan 14 00:33:19 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 14:45 -0800, Raymond Chan wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I?m not sure if this is an SGE related question or more of a system
> config of mail, but I wanted to know if anyone knew how to change the
> FROM emailer when using the ?M option in scripts you submit to email
> the user when a job is done or aborted.  Currently, it defaults the
> sender as ?root? and a generic subject line along the lines of ?Job
> ### (name_of_job) Complete?.  Is it possible for me to personalize
> both the sender and the subject?
I have rewritten the sender using Postfix.

The scenario being a cluster where the email is relayed via the master
node. Just set the exec hosts to relay mail via the master. However, the
campus mail relays would not accept mail from (say) comp00.cluster.x.x
as this is not in the DNS (quite correctly - stops spam being flooded
out by ill-configured PCs). So I set mail to come from
compnn at cluster.x.x  where cluster.x.x is the master node name.
Not sure about subject rewriting, thought it should be possible.