[GE users] Does SGE knows the real memory consumption of a host at scheduling time?

Tue Jan 17 20:25:39 GMT 2006

Goncalo,

Complexes (things that can be measured) can be associated with a queue,
a host, or a grid.  Memory is associated with a host, so if memory
requirements are a selection criterion for job scheduling, the scheduler
will automatically make sure that two memory-heavy jobs don't end up on
the same host.  As you said, however, that requires that users know how
much memory they will need.  If your objective is just to prevent two
jobs from running on the same host, regardless of in which queues, you
could create a new consumable host complex, say host_slots, which is set
to the maximum number of jobs you want to run simultaneously on your
host.  Each job would then consume one host_slot, and when they're gone,
no more jobs will be scheduled to that host.

Daniel

Goncalo Borges wrote On 01/17/06 21:07,:

>Hi there,
>
>I have the following question:
>
>Let's imagine that I have an execution host associated to 2 different
>queues. Suppose that there is one job (job A) already running in queue A
>of this exec host and that it is spending all the available memory.
>
>Imagine now that another user (who doesn't know nothing about Job A)
>wants to submit a job (job B) in the same exec host but in a
>different queue (queue B).
>
>1) Does SGE automatically detects that the memory consumption is very
>high, and thus, it will not execute job B (although queue B is free)?
>
>2) If this is not the case, do you know how can I can enable this
>behaviour?
>
>I know that there is the possibility that the user submitting job B can
>request a given ammount of memory. If this memory is not available, than
>the job will not execute. However, this procedure takes for granted
>the fact that the user must know the memory that his job will need, a
>non-trivial assumption. Therefore, i would prefer somekind of automatic
>procedure.
>
>Maybe it can be implemented using a load_sensor ?!
>
>Any help?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Cheers
>	Goncalo

*        Daniel Templeton   UMPK18 x83749         *
*       Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine        *
*   An "intellectual" is a man who takes more     *
* words than he needs to say more than he knows.  *
*                       -Dwight D. Eisenhower     *