[GE users] dedicated master (admin/submit) host

Bill Knebel billk at metrumrg.com
Wed Jan 18 14:36:30 GMT 2006

I had a question that I am sure has been asked in some way.  We have a
small cluster ( 7 nodes) that performs serial jobs only. The nodes are
dual Xeon's. We limit the jobs so that only  one job runs per CPU
becuase they are  primarily CPU bound/intensive. We will be adding an
additional 8 nodes (dual Opterons).  On many occasions we have 500 -
1000 jobs pending but at other times the cluster is empty. We run jobs
on all nodes (all nodes are set up as execute nodes and one is both an
exec host and a master (submit/admin) host) .  I was wondering at what
point, if ever, it becomes necessary to dedicate one cpu or  one node (2
cpu's) to the SGE admin/submit host functions and remove it as an
execute host.  Can anybody shed some light on this given their
experience or point me in the direction of some info?

Bill

--
Bill Knebel, PharmD, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist