[GE users] dedicated master (admin/submit) host

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Jan 18 14:47:04 GMT 2006

Hi Bill,

The admin/submit functions are relatively small resource consumers.
The biggest resource usage is by the node that hosts sge_schedd and
sge_qmaster. The number of active and pending jobs in a system will
determine how much CPU and Memory SGE is grabbing from the host
system. For 1000 pending/active jobs this should be trivial on most
server class systems.

For a 15 node cluster with 1000 jobs pending it should be no problem
to have the SGE master be on the same machine where people are doing
submit/admin tasks. At most you may want to bump up the physical
memory if you need to.

For smaller clusters, the big pain point comes when people run a
central NFS server on the same machine as the SGE master. In those
cases it becomes beneficial to separate out fileservice and SGE
service onto separate hosts.

Regards,
Chris