[GE users] Re: LAM SGE Integration issues with rocks 4.1

Srividya Valivarthi srividya.v at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:52:42 GMT 2006

On 1/18/06, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Hi Reuti,
> >

> > On 1/18/06, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> >> Am 18.01.2006 um 22:15 schrieb Srividya Valivarthi:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> This is perfect!
> >>
> >> BTW: What is your "shell_start_mode" and "shell" in the queue
> >> defintion?
> >>
> >> Unless you need the hard-coded csh, I'd suggest to set it to:
> >>
> >> shell                 /bin/sh
> >> shell_start_mode      unix_behavior
> >>

> > Earlier i had it  the default setting, but now have changed it to
> > to /bin/sh and unix_behaviour respectively and do not get the
> > warning messages.
> >
> >> this way the first line of the script will be honored and you get
> >> the /bin/sh which is specified there (Warning: no access to tty (Bad
> >> file descriptor) comes from csh AFAIK).

> >> As we now know, that the job specific LAM universe was started by
> >> SGE: are you still getting errors here?
> >
> > Yes, i  still get almost the same error messages except that with
> > the script
> > #cat tester1.sh
> > #!/bin/sh
> > #
> > #
> > # Use current working directory
> > #$ -cwd
> > #
> > # Join stdout and stderr
> > #$ -j y
> > #$ -S /bin/sh
> >
> > /opt/lam/gnu/bin/mpirun C /home/srividya/mpihello
> >
> > and run as
> > #qsub -pe lam_loose_rsh 2 tester1.sh
> >
> > The ouput is:
> > /home/srividya/mpihello: error while loading shared libraries:
> > liblamf77mpi.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory
> > -------
> > It seems that [at least] one of the processes that was started with
> > mpirun did not invoke MPI_INIT before quitting (it is possible that
> > more than one process did not invoke MPI_INIT -- mpirun was only
> > notified of the first one, which was on node n0).
> >
> > mpirun can *only* be used with MPI programs (i.e., programs that
> > invoke MPI_INIT and MPI_FINALIZE).  You can use the "lamexec" program
> > to run non-MPI programs over the lambooted nodes.
> > -------
> >
> > I Noticed here that the error message for the loading of shared
> > libraries is displayed only once irrespective of the number of
> > processors requested whcih was not the case earlier.
> >

> I usually compile my programs with:
>
> - system libs dynamic, i.e. .so files
> - compiler specific and parallel libs static, i.e. use the .a files
>
> this way I don't need all the .so files on all the nodes, and don't
> have to set any LD_LIBRARY_PATH to access them (or compile in a --
> rpath with the linker). But this is of course just my personal taste.
>
> I guess, that the LAM/MPI you use is the default installation from
> ROCKS (and so compiled to provide shared libs, as the default is to
> compile LAM/MPI to get static .a files).

Yes, i am using the default installation which rocks provides and have
not yet built the lam sources to obtain the static .a files.

> Anyway, next question: why is a C program accessing obviously a
> Fortran lib - what is:
>
> "ldd mpihello" and
>
> "ldd /opt/lam/gnu/bin/mpiru" saying about the needed libs? (on the
> headnode of the cluster and one node)?

#ldd mpihello  results in
 	liblamf77mpi.so.0 => /opt/lam/gnu/lib/liblamf77mpi.so.0 (0x0043d000)
        libmpi.so.0 => /opt/lam/gnu/lib/libmpi.so.0 (0x00702000)
        liblam.so.0 => /opt/lam/gnu/lib/liblam.so.0 (0x00b7f000)
        libutil.so.1 => /lib/libutil.so.1 (0x00dee000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x0099f000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x00a6e000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x0084e000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00835000)
I do not know why that happens!! I compile the obj as follows:
#/opt/lam/gnu/bin/mpicc -o mpihello -x c mpihello.c
I have tried to look over the lam users mailing list.. couldn't come
up with anything so far.... will update as soon as i find out why!!
and ldd of mpirun on both the frontend and compute nodes gives the
following results
	liblam.so.0 => /opt/lam/gnu/lib/liblam.so.0 (0x004c5000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x0099f000)
        libutil.so.1 => /lib/libutil.so.1 (0x00dee000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x00a6e000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x0084e000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00835000)

Thanks again,
Srividya