[GE users] qmaster and tightly integrated tasks

Thomas Neumann neumann at exasol.com
Fri Jan 20 15:13:27 GMT 2006

Hello !

Analysing a problem with one of my jobscripts I came accross the
following behaviour of the qmaster when running tightly integrated tasks:

If a tightly integrated task fails, the qmaster tells in the messagefile
something like
'tightly integrated parallel task 20416.0 task 988.cmp1 fails - killing job'
Some seconds later the job is killed.

In some cases this behaviour is a problem for my scripts: For example
I've got several processes started by the jobscript having a predefined
timeout. Running in a timeout all subtasks are killed with SIGKILL or
SIGTERM, but the script has a defined behaviour to react on the timeout
condition and continuing execution (e.g. cleanup-routines for shared
memory or other tasks to execute). Unfortunately the qmaster registers
the killed subtasks and terminates the job before the job can complete
execution.

Is there a way to prevent the qmaster from killing a job due to tightly
integrated subtask failures ?

Thanks,
    Thomas