[GE users] Question about patches/upgrade

Jeroen M. Kleijer jeroen.m.kleijer at philips.com
Fri Jan 27 08:37:38 GMT 2006

Hi,

At the shop where we work we usually keep several revisions of
applications so we can switch back and forth easily. (this is more done
for switching between several releases of applications like Abaqus, StarCD
and Msc.Mentat)
I was kind of wondering if it was possible to install SGE in such a way
that it has a shared configuration directory (/home/sge/conf)  but the
binaries are in a version specific directory. (/home/sge/6.0u7/.....) So
if anything breaks, you can easily revert to the old version by switching
something like a symbolic link.
Has anybody ever done this?

Met vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards

Jeroen Kleijer
Unix Systeembeheer
Philips Applied Technologies

Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>
Please respond to
users at gridengine.sunsource.net

users at gridengine.sunsource.net
cc

Subject
Re: [GE users] Question about patches/upgrade
Classification

Hi,

Am 27.01.2006 um 00:09 schrieb Doug Staub:

> All,
>
> I am revisiting an issue I brought up to Sun and never got
> resolution on - I
> am running N1GE 6.0 (base) - can I apply "u7_1" without having to
> install
> any of the previous patches?

what do you see in $SGE_ROOT/default/spool: is the a directory
"spooldb" - then you are using Berkeley spooling.

In case of classic spoling, just stopping ther daemons, untar, and
restart the daemons should work. For BDB spooling you must make an
extra step because of a change in the BDB for early 6.0px releases,
please have a look here:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/install60patch.txt

point 6.

Cheers - Reuti