[GE users] Question about patches/upgrade

Jeroen M. Kleijer jeroen.m.kleijer at philips.com
Fri Jan 27 09:37:32 GMT 2006

Hi Mark,

This was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.
Thanks for the info, I'll try and see how I can implement this over at our
site.

Met vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards

Jeroen Kleijer
Unix Systeembeheer
Philips Applied Technologies

"Olesen, Mark" <Mark.Olesen at arvinmeritor.com>
Please respond to
users at gridengine.sunsource.net

"'users at gridengine.sunsource.net'" <users at gridengine.sunsource.net>
cc

Subject
RE: [GE users] Question about patches/upgrade
Classification

> I was kind of wondering if it was possible to install SGE in such a way
that it has a shared
> configuration directory (/home/sge/conf)  but the binaries are in a
version specific directory.
> (/home/sge/6.0u7/.....) So if anything breaks, you can easily revert to
the old version by switching

Hi Jeroen,

We indeed do something like your were asking.

The init scripts point to $SGE_ROOT (SGE_ROOT=/opt/n1ge6), which is a
link.

                 /opt/n1ge6 -> /data/app/n1ge6

The 'apps' directory is an NFS volume with links.

                 /data/app/n1ge-6.0u1
                 /data/app/n1ge-6.0u6
                 /data/app/n1ge-6.0u7
                 /data/app/n1ge6 -> n1ge-6.0u6

The SGE_CELL=default and is the same for all the installations:

                 /data/app/n1ge-6.0u6/default ->
/export/home/cfdadmin/n1ge6/default
                 /data/app/n1ge-6.0u7/default ->
/export/home/cfdadmin/n1ge6/default
                 /data/app/n1ge6/default ->
/export/home/cfdadmin/n1ge6/default

Under the assumption that the configuration files do not change radically,
it is then possible to shutdown the daemons, move the link
(/data/app/n1ge6)
and re-start the daemons.

It is thus possible to change the links for a few machines (the /opt/n1ge6
link) to create a second, parallel cluster for localized (preliminary)
testing purposes.

/mark