[GE users] Considering SGE vs. Torque

Leo Butler leobutler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:08:10 GMT 2006

Greetings,

I've been tasked with recommending a job control/scheduling system for our
small startup. I'm previously a LSF user so my knowledge/understanding is
a bit LSF-centric; for instance I have read about how queues differ on SGE,
but I'm not sure what that means has really sunk in yet.

At any rate, the needs here are pretty basic and seem to be covered by the
SGE feature set, but as someone here has previously used PBS there's some
consideration being paid to its follow-on Torque. I've been reading up on it
as
well, and one thing that seems clear is that Torque has a very simplistic
scheduler
and at least Maui would be needed on top of Torque but more likely Moab
would
be needed which gets us into a supported tool for a price. Not out of the
question,
but it's not clear it's a better option than SGE. I'd like to not be
revisiting the job
control system a year from now...

Does anyone have some experience with both programs that can tell me how
SGE's scheduler compares? What we basically need is:

 - delay job start until FlexLM says license is available
 - some resource specification (memory, ncpus, etc)
 - easy to add desktop workstations to machine pool at night, and method
   for users to disable this when working late

Thanks in advance for your insights.

- Leo