[GE users] Considering SGE vs. Torque

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:23:22 GMT 2006

Yes, the "queue" concept in SGE 5.3 was a bit different than LSF, but
did you read on cluster queues in SGE6 yet?? And it is correct that
the Torque scheduler is really simple.

SGE is very good at managing compute farm type of workload... For
flexlm integration, refer to:
http://gridengine.info/articles/2005/11/16/flexlm-license-integration-olesen-method

And you can request for resources for a job with the qsub option "-l",
and enable a machine only at night via the "calender queue". A lot of
the useful information is available at:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/howto.html

Lastly, SGE has the accounting module (e.g. gives you a graph of
jobs/month, #jobs/user, etc) which was not available for free, and now
it is as part of JES. It is similar to LSF analyzer.

Rayson