[GE users] Licenses by host not by slot

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jan 31 23:44:59 GMT 2006

If you would need a limit for slots, and the licenses are exclusively
used only in the cluster, it would just be a consumable complex. And
also using any sweeper isn't straight forward I fear. You could
allocate e.g. ten different nodes, each with one process. Then the
licenses are used up, and what about the 11th job? You would have to
force SGE (the scheduler) to put it on a machine, where one of such
jobs is already running.

>>> One setup I have tried involved just giving each of 10 machines a
>>> host complex of foo=2 but then if those machines are crunching
>>> away on other things I am not able to use those tokens till those
>>> machines are available.

One way to tune SGE to put standard jobs preferred on the standard
nodes: give the queue-instances in this special hostgroup a higher
seq_no and set the scheduler to sort queues by seqno (one time with
_, one time without). But you are of course right, that this might
happen anyway.

HTH - Reuti