[GE users] smp environment trouble

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jun 6 11:10:53 BST 2006

Hi Kris,

Am 06.06.2006 um 10:49 schrieb k.radacki:

> Reuti wrote:
>
>> Am 04.06.2006 um 15:00 schrieb k.radacki:
>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Nope... How should I do it?
>>
>> Using "qconf -mq <qname>", which will open a vi, by appending
>> "smp"  to the entry "pe_list", where you will find already "make".
>> For  details please have a look at "man queue_conf". - Reuti
>

> Dear Thomas,

it's only allowed to call me Thomas if I make a really big mistake ;-)

> my auphoria was to early. When I sent one job, the queue started
> it, but exactly the same script (just copied between to
> directories) did't work 2nd time.
>
> job-ID  prior   name       user         state submit/start at
> queue                          slots ja-task-ID
>     30 0.60500 MnBu       kris         r     06/04/2006 16:45:21
> all.q at hall1.khazad.dum             2           47 0.50500 PdMo-
> IR    kris         r     06/05/2006 23:18:36
> all.q at hall6.khazad.dum             1           22 0.50500
> SiH        kris         r     06/04/2006 01:25:50
> all.q at hall7.khazad.dum             1           50 0.60500
> H2         kris         qw    06/06/2006 10:45:21
> As you can see the one in top is the 1st I sent and in between I
> tested some more runs (the last is quite compex -- single point H2
> molecule :-)
> It was not important if I used $pe_slots or $fill_up result was the
> same (hanging in queue).
> You have writen: "BTW: slots in the PE definition are the slots
> used in total for  this  PE at the same time. Often it's advisable
> to set it to two  times the  number of hosts for dual machines. "
> I have to said that slots stil confuse me. I thought that the
> meaning of slot is how many single-proc jobs can a machine start.
> In case of dual-proc machine two, and in my smp definition I had
> slots set to 2. Now, what I want to do, is to start g03 only in smp
> modus (no linda or so ever). I did as

It's just right to set it to two in the queue definition - these are
then the allowed tasks (i.e. processes) on each machine.

> you have written -- I enlarged slots but only to 4 -- and than the
> job was started.
> What sens has it?

Yes, this is they way it should be. It's the count of slots in total
used by this PE. If you set it to 4, you can start 2 times a 2-CPU
jobs. Therefore I mentioned to set it to the number of machines times
two in your case. This way you can limit the use of an individual PE
in a cluster, if you have more than one PE. If your limit is already
set by the slots in the queue definition, you could even set it to
999 in your case without any side effect.

Cheers - Reuti