[GE users] Advance reservation strange behavior

Jean-Paul Minet minet at cism.ucl.ac.be
Mon Jun 12 15:19:14 BST 2006

Craig,

[...]

>> Submitting a job with advanced reservation (test_ar), it doesn't get
>> allocated any priority (tickets only, based on fair share only):
>>
>> job-ID  prior   nurg    npprior ntckts   ppri name       user
>> state submit/start at     queue                          slots ja-task-ID
>>
>> [...]
>>  13149 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000     0 test_ar    root
>> qw 06/08/2006 11:46:48                                   20
>>
>> If I then submit the same job but without advanced reservation (test),
>> it gets its normal priority, while the advanced reservation job
>> remains at 0 priority.

[...]

> SGE does not support the gathering of resources prior to runtime to
> ensure that the code runs at the time requested (advanced reservations).
> It does support the running of code at a requested time, and if at that
> time the job does not have enough resources it will aggressively gather
> those resources until it can run (reservations).

Sorry, I probably misexpressed myself...  I was talking about "resource
reservation", i.e. preventing lower priority small (in terms of slots) jobs to
run before jobs requiring a higher number of slots.  It is not a question of
specific time for the job to run, but to respect priority order, keeping CPUs
aside as soon as they get free to gather enough of them to enable a big job to
run (instead of dispatching small jobs).

I am wrong somewhere?

Jean-Paul

> What time was the job scheduled to run?  I thought that the priority
> for jobs with reservations stays zero until after the start time has
> passed.
>
> Craig
>

>> Thanks for any info/help
>>
>> Jean-paul

Jean-Paul Minet
Gestionnaire CISM - Institut de Calcul Intensif et de Stockage de Masse
Université Catholique de Louvain
Tel: (32) (0)10.47.35.67 - Fax: (32) (0)10.47.34.52