[GE users] Advance reservation strange behavior

Rui Ramos rramos at iric.up.pt
Mon Jun 12 15:32:36 BST 2006

  Hi Jean-Paul,

    When you submit this jobs do you set the option "-R y" ?

                                                  Regards

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:19:14 +0200
Jean-Paul Minet <minet at cism.ucl.ac.be> wrote:

> Craig,
>
> [...]
>
> >> Submitting a job with advanced reservation (test_ar), it doesn't get
> >> allocated any priority (tickets only, based on fair share only):
> >>
> >> job-ID  prior   nurg    npprior ntckts   ppri name       user
> >> state submit/start at     queue                          slots ja-task-ID
> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>  13149 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000     0 test_ar    root
> >> qw 06/08/2006 11:46:48                                   20
> >>
> >> If I then submit the same job but without advanced reservation (test),
> >> it gets its normal priority, while the advanced reservation job
> >> remains at 0 priority.
>
> [...]
>
> > SGE does not support the gathering of resources prior to runtime to
> > ensure that the code runs at the time requested (advanced reservations).
> > It does support the running of code at a requested time, and if at that
> > time the job does not have enough resources it will aggressively gather
> > those resources until it can run (reservations).
>
> Sorry, I probably misexpressed myself...  I was talking about "resource
> reservation", i.e. preventing lower priority small (in terms of slots) jobs to
> run before jobs requiring a higher number of slots.  It is not a question of
> specific time for the job to run, but to respect priority order, keeping CPUs
> aside as soon as they get free to gather enough of them to enable a big job to
> run (instead of dispatching small jobs).
>
> I am wrong somewhere?
>
> Jean-Paul
>
> > What time was the job scheduled to run?  I thought that the priority
> > for jobs with reservations stays zero until after the start time has
> > passed.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> >> Thanks for any info/help
> >>
> >> Jean-paul

> --
> Jean-Paul Minet
> Gestionnaire CISM - Institut de Calcul Intensif et de Stockage de Masse
> Université Catholique de Louvain
> Tel: (32) (0)10.47.35.67 - Fax: (32) (0)10.47.34.52

- --
 Rui Manuel dos Santos Ramos

 Instituto de Recursos e Iniciativas Comuns
 Praca Gomes Teixeira, 4099-002 Porto, Portugal

 phone : +351 223 401 571
 e-mail: rramos[at]iric.up.pt
    web: http://ruiramos.homeip.net