[GE users] Jobs Rushing the Slots

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Jun 12 16:30:59 BST 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 17:00, Andre Thomas wrote:
> One thing you could do is set up different queues based on your
> architecture, that's what we've done here having PRman 64bit queue (4
> slots) and a 32bit queue (2  slots), Houdini 64bit etc., then you can
> set up either transfer queues or just specify per queue the number of
> slots, so all your blades with 1G get 1 slot, thus you'll never have
> more than one job on there.

	Yes, I had thought about something like that, Andre.  Unfortunately, I'm
hoping to not have to micromanage the number of slots(I would want two
smaller jobs to run on the large mem systems, but only one large job).  AFAIK
the load adjustment is specifically designed for this, but damned if I can
get it to do anything.  :P

	Thanks for the suggestion, though.  Anyone know where the docs exist on
specifically what each load adjustment is for(mem, vmem, mem_free...)?  I
can't find them anywhere, and I really just need a practical application of
them so systems don't get bullied by hungry jobs.  :)

	Thanks, Andre...

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada
If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.