[GE users] wide installations of GE

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jun 14 14:44:29 BST 2006

Am 14.06.2006 um 15:26 schrieb davide cittaro:

> Hi there. The boss asked me if I could install a campus-wide grid
> based on sun GE, exclusively on OS X clients (~200 computers). In
> principle there should be no problem, I thought. Now I'm thinking,
> instead, that I don't know how to manage applications that should
> run in GE.
> I installed it on a small cluster and I also provided to each node
> the binaries I would like to run using GE (bioinformatics
> applications). If I install it on every computer, every time I need
> an application running in the grid, I should go on every client and
> install it... Is there a way to do this easy? I mean, a GE way?

Usually it's an export of something like /opt/applications to all
machines from a server. If it's campuswide it might be advisable to
export it read-only.

Hint: for future expansion to multi-arch setup you could introduce
one level for the architecture:

/opt/applications/lx24-amd64
/opt/applications/lx24-x86

and to use <mountpoint>/$ARC/myprogram in the scripts.

Cheers - Reuti