[GE users] mpich sge and exporting env vars

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Wed Jun 14 16:13:56 BST 2006

michael bane wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 14:08 +0000, Gruhn Daniel J Contractor AF/A9IT
> wrote:
>> Michael,
>>
>> What shell are your scripts running as?  You could put #$ -S /bin/bash also
>> at the top of your script to ensure bash.
>>
>> If you just run this script by hand, does it work okay?
>>
>> Dan
>

> the actual script is csh and the env vars get passed okay to the Exec if
> I do a serial (non-mpich) build.

Sorry to jump into this late.  I haven't been able to figure out
what the problem really is.  Is the problem that the environment
variables are not being set in the batch script or is the problem that
the executable isn't getting the variables?

I haven't done this in a while, but I do not think that mpich passes
the local environment to the executable.  So if you do:

setenv MYVAR a
mpirun -np $NPSLOTS ~/myexe

The executable may never see the variable $MYVAR.  It will only see
it if mpirun launches the rank 0 process directly, and not over ssh.
I am not sure if the "-batch" option makes sure that mpirun does not
launch a process locally (vs. ssh).  I might be confusing that with
-nolocal.

So if you print out $BASE right before the call to mpirun, does it
have the right information?

Craig
Craig