[GE users] Application Server Submitting on Behalf of a User

Langston, Chris Chris.Langston at aa.com
Fri Jun 16 22:18:01 BST 2006

Hi All,

This is my first time requesting information from this mailing list, so
please bear with me. My challenge is; how to submit jobs from a server
to SGE on behalf of a user. Currently, users are running a Java
application on their Windows desktop to execute a server side C++
program using RMI. The program is scheduled using a home-grown
scheduling software that is being replaced with SGE (v6.0u7).
Authentication is currently handled thru an authentication server.

Here's my dilemma: I'm looking for a light-weight solution to submit to
the grid (I've looked at the Grid Engine Portal and that solution -
although not completely out of the question - is too heavy (overkill) -
requiring too many other pieces to be put in place to get it to work.

Does anyone know of a small, elegant solution to have a server (running
as the server ID) submit a job to SGE on behalf of a user (after
authentication)?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Langston