[GE users] mpich sge and exporting env vars

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Jun 16 23:37:21 BST 2006

Looks all okay to me.

Am 17.06.2006 um 00:11 schrieb michael bane:

> Thanks for the tips folks but I am still struggling. Perhaps we can
> sort
> one thing out at a time....
>
> This script
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #$ -pe mpich 2
> #$ -l s_rt=1:00:00,h_rt=1:20:00
> #$ -v   GRID_NAME=michael
> mpirun -batch -np $NSLOTS -machinefile \
> $TMPDIR/machines ./CCTM_radm2-ros3-PAR

The #$ will be processed like they would have been given on the
command line of the qsub command.
You instruct SGE to define GRID_NAME prior execution of your script.

> does pass value of GRID_NAME to the executable whereas the following
> doesn't
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #$ -pe mpich 2
> #$ -l s_rt=1:00:00,h_rt=1:20:00
> #$ -V
> export GRID_NAME=michael
> mpirun -batch -np $NSLOTS -machinefile
> $TMPDIR/machines ./CCTM_radm2-ros3-PAR

The -V will define the environment variables which you have in your
interactive session to be also set for your job.

> nor does
>

> #!/bin/bash
> #$ -pe mpich 2
> #$ -l s_rt=1:00:00,h_rt=1:20:00
> export GRID_NAME=michael
> #$ -V
> mpirun -batch -np $NSLOTS -machinefile
> $TMPDIR/machines ./CCTM_radm2-ros3-PAR

#$ is processed before the job starts, and not during its execution
(although it would be a cool feature to specify and change e.g.
resource requests during the runtime of the job).

But: are you having a Tight Integration of your job using qrsh -V for
the slave processes? - Reuti