[GE users] mpich sge and exporting env vars

michael bane michael.bane at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Jun 17 13:01:18 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 01:36 +0200, Reuti wrote:
> Am 17.06.2006 um 01:15 schrieb michael bane:
>

> >> #$ is processed before the job starts, and not during its execution
> >> (although it would be a cool feature to specify and change e.g.
> >> resource requests during the runtime of the job).
> >>

> > maybe i spoke too soon since this didn't work:
> >

> > $ cat test.sh;export GRID_NAME=michael;qsub test.sh
> > #!/bin/bash
> > #$ -pe mpich 2
> > #$ -l s_rt=1:00:00,h_rt=1:20:00
> > #$ -V
> > mpirun -batch -np $NSLOTS -machinefile \
> > $TMPDIR/machines ./CCTM_radm2-ros3-PAR
> > Your job 2169 ("test.sh") has been submitted.
> >
> > gave:
> >
> > $ less *2168
> >      Value for GRID_NAME not defined; returning defaultval ':
> > 'GRID_NAME'
> >      Environment variable not set
>
> Can you try with:
>
> reuti at server:~> cat test.sh; export GRID_NAME=blabla; qsub test.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> #$ -V
> echo $GRID_NAME
> Your job 23572 ("test.sh") has been submitted.
> reuti at server:~> cat test.sh.o23572
> blabla
> reuti at server:~>

Yes, that works okay:
[mccssmb2 at masonclb cctm]$ cat test.sh;export GRID_NAME=me;qsub test.sh
#!/bin/sh
#$ -V
echo $GRID_NAME

Your job 2181 ("test.sh") has been submitted.
[mccssmb2 at masonclb cctm]$ cat test.sh.o2181
me
[mccssmb2 at masonclb cctm]$

> To get it also on the slave nodes, you will need Tight Integration of
> for your PE. - Reuti

Okay, I think this isn't set (the parts as from the README seem to have
been done but not the points from your webpage as far as I can tell).

As an aside, I note that if I try
!qrsh -V
error: Unknown option -V

which confuses me since this seems to be a valid option from the man
page and exactly what is needed to be added to the rsh wrapper.

Thanks again folks,
Michael