[GE users] Question regarding SGE submission methods (scheduling timeouts)

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jun 20 06:44:37 BST 2006

Hi,

Am 20.06.2006 um 00:18 schrieb Kogan, Felix:

>> Hello,
>>
>> We're running a large SGE 6.0u8 installation (hundreds of nodes).
>> Recently a lot of users started asking for a timeout feature. That
>> is,
>> submit a job and make sure that it returned after certain period of
>> time. Or submit a job and make sure that the submission command
>> returns within a specified timeout if it cannot be executed right
>> away. Something like:
>>
>> # returns in 10 minutes (timeout)
>> $ qsub -to 600 some_job
>>
>> # qrsh returns an error message if the job hasn't been scheduled to
>> run in 5 minutes (pending timeout)
>> $ qrsh -now no -pt 300 some_job
>>
>> I've tried to find something relevant in the docs but could not.
>> Could
>> someone please enlighten me? Maybe, if this is not possible now, it
>> will be possible in some further releases?

there is nothing like this in SGE. In fact, for any queuing system
doing such things it would also be necessary to have a hard h_rt
limit for all jobs like:

$ qsub -to 600 -l h_rt=300 some_job

to their maximum runtime and at least to suspend jobs without h_rt
for an indefinite time. In total this looks to me like a request for
a real-time queuing system.