[GE users] Setting up reservations

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Jun 20 17:38:06 BST 2006

Hi folks:

   I want to make sure I understand this right, and hopefully can look
at an example.

   I want to create a reservation for a 4 processor job running on a
system.  This 4 processor job needs to run on one host, and not spread
among hosts.  The hosts have at least 4 processors.

   The queue is long, and there are many processors in the system, over
100.

   I presume I need to do more than this, but this is the first pass:

a) submit jobs using -R y option

	qsub -R y ...

What else do I need to do to set up the reservation?

Next, the resource that I want to reserve are the number of CPUs.
According to the man page, I should be able to use

	-l slots=2

Thats good, but I want to reserve this on a single host, and not break
the job among multiple hosts.  So I could create a parallel environment
named host with an allocation rule of 4.

Does this make sense?

-

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615