[GE users] Setting up reservations

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jun 20 18:19:43 BST 2006

Hi,

Am 20.06.2006 um 18:38 schrieb Joe Landman:

> Hi folks:
>
>   I want to make sure I understand this right, and hopefully can
> look at an example.
>
>   I want to create a reservation for a 4 processor job running on a
> system.  This 4 processor job needs to run on one host, and not
> spread among hosts.  The hosts have at least 4 processors.
>
>   The queue is long, and there are many processors in the system,
> over 100.
>
>   I presume I need to do more than this, but this is the first pass:
>
> a) submit jobs using -R y option
>
> 	qsub -R y ...
>
> What else do I need to do to set up the reservation?

you have to specify in addition "qconf -msconf" (man sched_conf):

max_reservation                   20

or any appropriate value for your cluster.

> Next, the resource that I want to reserve are the number of CPUs.
> According to the man page, I should be able to use
>
> 	-l slots=2

Don't request slots directly, but by requesting a PE with an
allocation rule of $pe_slots and the necessary number of slots. This
will allocate them all on one machine, and gives you some flexibility
if you have also jobs requesting only  2 slots in the pending list. A
fixed value of 4 is also possible, but then only jobs requesting
exactly 4 slots could run in this PE.

For details please have a look in "man sge_pe".

HTH - Reuti