[GE users] History of GridEngine -- was Re: [GE users] logo/mascot of GridEngine?

Brett_W_Grant at raytheon.com Brett_W_Grant at raytheon.com
Thu Jun 22 15:39:44 BST 2006

The guys in our IT department always claimed that Raytheon developed GE.
The history section of the wiki doesn't even suggest it, but the text
below, taken from a Raytheon newsletter dated Summer 2002, suggests
Raytheon had a much bigger role.  I was just wondering if there was a more
detailed history of the timeline available?  I know that at one time
Raytheon was part of the support tier for GE, but not anymore.  This is
just a curiosity question - I tend to think that the our IT guys are
overemphasizing Raytheon's role.  Perhaps raytheon just provided
oversight?  Perhaps this is relating to a completely different product
with a similar name.

----------------- quote from article ----------------------
Raytheon boosts BP?s high-performance computing power
By Pat McKenna

A computer software package that Raytheon co-developed and originally
coded in 1995 is paying big dividends for one of the world?s largest
petrochemicals companies. Users of GridEngine Enterprise Edition at BP?s
high-performance computing center in Houston report the software has
raised utilization of their powerful SGI Origin 3400 supercomputers from
49 percent in the first quarter of 2001 to 63.5 percent for the same
period this year.

GridEngine is a distributed resource management software package that
combines computing power to deliver it as a network service. GridEngine
software is used with a set of computers to create powerful compute farms,
which are used in a wide range of technical computing applications such as
the development of semiconductors, mechanical design, software
development, and financial analysis. Also, massively scaling
supercomputers use GridEngine software in a variety of academic and
research pursuits. Users enjoy access to large computing capability and
organizations enjoy effective utilization of their computing resource
investments approaching 100 percent.

According to Craig Stair, a principal systems engineer for Raytheon in
Garland, Texas, GridEngine optimally places computing tasks and balances
the load on a set of networked computers, allowing users to generate and
queue more computing tasks. It also ensures that tasks are executed with
respect to priority, providing all users with a fair share of access over
time.
?GridEngine allows for the dynamic adjustment of priorities as the jobs
run,? Stair said. ?What that means is that more jobs get done quicker.
Fewer processors sit idle so more jobs get done.?
GridEngine was originally written and co-developed by Raytheon?s Imagery
and Geospatial Systems in Garland and Genias Software GmbH in Germany for
use at the Army Research Laboratory. Since then Genias has been acquired
by Sun Microsystems, which has made GridEngine an open source code,
thereby eliminating licensing fees. Because of Raytheon?s unique knowledge
of the code and design, it has been able to offer support services for
GridEngine unrivaled by others.

According to Stair, there are quite a few high-performance computers
running the open-source version of the program while Raytheon supports
several government and commercial customers, including BP, which is using
GridEngine to manage supercomputers processing information for ?upstream?
development, mainly deep-water oil exploration in the Gulf of Mexico.
?GridEngine queuing has made our computers more effective, which, in turn,
has made our researchers more effective,? said Keith Gray, manager of
high-performance computing for BP Upstream Digital Business. ?Our
researchers no longer have to wake up in the middle of night to check on
status of jobs.

?We?ve found that our researchers can support bigger projects because of
the easy-to-use queuing environment that GridEngine offers. If fact, we?ve
found cases where we?ve seen 10- to 15-percent improvement in some
clusters because of GridEngine,? Gray said.
----------------- endquote from article ----------------------

Thanks,
Brett Grant

"Rayson Ho" <rayrayson at gmail.com>
06/22/2006 07:08 AM
Please respond to
users at gridengine.sunsource.net

users at gridengine.sunsource.net
cc

Subject
Re: [GE users] logo/mascot of GridEngine?

The updated version has corrected the naming problem, and added the SGE
logo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Grid_Engine

BTW, there are _way to many_ names for SGE...

Rayson

On 6/12/06, Andy Schwierskott <andy.schwierskott at sun.com> wrote:
> Rayson,
>
> nice effort!
>
> > In 2004, I created the Wikipedia page,
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_GridEngine . However, I just feel
>
> a small correction/question:
>
>   Sun Grid Engine (SGE), earlier known as Sun GridEngine
>
> shouldn't it say:
>
>   Sun Grid Engine (SGE), earlier known as CODINE (COmputing in
Distributed
>   Networked Environmnets) from Genias Software, Germany ....
>
> we never had the name "Sun GridEngine".
>
> And in the History section:
>
>   ... and renamed the product GridEngine.
>
>   should say
>
>       and  renamed the product to Sun Grid Engine
>
> > that it is a bit boring to have a page but without any graphics...
> >
> > Is this pic available to public domain??
> > http://gridengine.sunsource.net/branding/images/ge_logo.gif
> >
> > What is the offical mascot of GridEngine??
>
> Well, the logo falls under the SISSL since it comes from the CVS
repository,
> so there should be no problem to use it. However we are just thinking
about
> to create a new logo - I'm still looking for a sponsor first a small
Amazon