[GE users] History of GridEngine -- was Re: [GE users] logo/mascot of GridEngine?

Fritz Ferstl ferstl at sun.com
Thu Jun 22 16:14:26 BST 2006

Hi Brett,

here's the "brief history in time":

1992: Genias acquires rights to commercialize DQS from FSU.
1993: Genias productizes and extends DQS and releases it as CODINE.
1993-1995: Further evolution of CODINE until version 3.3.
1995-1997:
         - Rewrite of v3.3 into v4.0
         - Addition of "GRD" policy module in response to DoD Mod
           project; Raytheon was primary contractor; Genias and
           Instrumental were subcontractors
             --> Raytheon paid for that development at the time
             --> Raytheon was an important co-developer of the module;
                 Genias was the main contributor, though.
1997-2000:
         - GRD (=Codine+GRD-Module) and CODINE are co-marketed as
           separate products; Raytheon sells GRD to gov customers; Genias
           sells both tools to commercial accounts.
         - Genias and Raytheon continue to co-develop the GRD module,
           with Raytheon contributing an important but comparatively
           smaller part.
2000: Genias merges with Chord into Gridware (no change regarding
         relationship w/ Raytheon)
2000: Sun acquires Gridware; as part of acquisition, Sun receives all
         rights to GRD in exchange for a compensation to Raytheon.
         Raytheon retains right to sell the now renamed Grid Engine into
         own accounts.
since 2000: Raytheon continues to sell and support Grid Engine and to
         contribute to Grid Engine developments, although on a more
         reduced scale.

Cheers,

Fritz

Brett_W_Grant at raytheon.com wrote:

 > The guys in our IT department always claimed that Raytheon developed GE.
 >  The history section of the wiki doesn't even suggest it, but the text
 > below, taken from a Raytheon newsletter dated Summer 2002, suggests
 > Raytheon had a much bigger role.  I was just wondering if there was a
 > more detailed history of the timeline available?  I know that at one
 > time Raytheon was part of the support tier for GE, but not anymore.
 >  This is just a curiosity question - I tend to think that the our IT
 > guys are overemphasizing Raytheon's role.  Perhaps raytheon just
 > provided oversight?  Perhaps this is relating to a completely different
 > product with a similar name.
 >

 > ----------------- quote from article ----------------------
 > Raytheon boosts BP?s high-performance computing power
 > By Pat McKenna
 >
 > A computer software package that Raytheon co-developed and originally
 > coded in 1995 is paying big dividends for one of the world?s largest
 > petrochemicals companies. Users of GridEngine Enterprise Edition at BP?s
 > high-performance computing center in Houston report the software has
 > raised utilization of their powerful SGI Origin 3400 supercomputers from
 > 49 percent in the first quarter of 2001 to 63.5 percent for the same
 > period this year.
 >
 > GridEngine is a distributed resource management software package that
 > combines computing power to deliver it as a network service. GridEngine
 > software is used with a set of computers to create powerful compute
 > farms, which are used in a wide range of technical computing
 > applications such as the development of semiconductors, mechanical
 > design, software development, and financial analysis. Also, massively
 > scaling supercomputers use GridEngine software in a variety of academic
 > and research pursuits. Users enjoy access to large computing capability
 > and organizations enjoy effective utilization of their computing
 > resource investments approaching 100 percent.
 >
 > According to Craig Stair, a principal systems engineer for Raytheon in
 > Garland, Texas, GridEngine optimally places computing tasks and balances
 > the load on a set of networked computers, allowing users to generate and
 > queue more computing tasks. It also ensures that tasks are executed with
 > respect to priority, providing all users with a fair share of access
 > over time.
 > ?GridEngine allows for the dynamic adjustment of priorities as the jobs
 > run,? Stair said. ?What that means is that more jobs get done quicker.
 > Fewer processors sit idle so more jobs get done.?
 > GridEngine was originally written and co-developed by Raytheon?s Imagery
 > and Geospatial Systems in Garland and Genias Software GmbH in Germany
 > for use at the Army Research Laboratory. Since then Genias has been
 > acquired by Sun Microsystems, which has made GridEngine an open source
 > code, thereby eliminating licensing fees. Because of Raytheon?s unique
> [...]

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]