[GE users] History of GridEngine -- was Re: [GE users] logo/mascot of GridEngine?

Fritz Ferstl ferstl at sun.com
Thu Jun 22 17:00:48 BST 2006

The "queuing system ancestry" is attached. It has been created about 10
years ago. So don't expect it to be current.

Oh and I just recalled that it was E-Systems who funded and collaborated
in the initial GRD development back in 95-97. E-System then was acquired
by Raytheon some time downstream.

And I also forgot to mention that Instrumental Inc dropped out at some
point. I don't recall when this was. Might have been 97 or 98.

Cheers,

Fritz

Andy Schwierskott wrote:
> [...]
>>> BP?s high-performance computing center in Houston report the software
>>> has raised utilization of their powerful SGI Origin 3400
>>> supercomputers from 49 percent in the first quarter of 2001 to 63.5
>>> percent for the same period this year.
>>>
>>> GridEngine is a distributed resource management software package that
>>> combines computing power to deliver it as a network service.
>>> GridEngine software is used with a set of computers to create
>>> powerful compute farms, which are used in a wide range of technical
>>> computing applications such as the development of semiconductors,
>>> mechanical design, software development, and financial analysis.
>>> Also, massively scaling supercomputers use GridEngine software in a
>>> variety of academic and research pursuits. Users enjoy access to
>>> large computing capability and organizations enjoy effective
>>> utilization of their computing resource investments approaching 100
>>> percent.
>>>
>>> According to Craig Stair, a principal systems engineer for Raytheon
>>> in Garland, Texas, GridEngine optimally places computing tasks and
>>> balances the load on a set of networked computers, allowing users to
>>> generate and queue more computing tasks. It also ensures that tasks
>>> are executed with respect to priority, providing all users with a
>>> fair share of access over time.
>>> ?GridEngine allows for the dynamic adjustment of priorities as the
>>> jobs run,? Stair said. ?What that means is that more jobs get done
>>> quicker. Fewer processors sit idle so more jobs get done.?
>>> GridEngine was originally written and co-developed by Raytheon?s
>>> Imagery and Geospatial Systems in Garland and Genias Software GmbH in
>>> Germany for use at the Army Research Laboratory. Since then Genias
>>> has been acquired by Sun Microsystems, which has made GridEngine an
>>> open source code, thereby eliminating licensing fees. Because of
>>> Raytheon?s unique knowledge of the code and design, it has been able
>>> to offer support services for GridEngine unrivaled by others.
>>>
>>> According to Stair, there are quite a few high-performance computers
>>> running the open-source version of the program while Raytheon
>>> supports several government and commercial customers, including BP,
>>> which is using GridEngine to manage supercomputers processing
>>> information for ?upstream? development, mainly deep-water oil
>>> exploration in the Gulf of Mexico.
>>> ?GridEngine queuing has made our computers more effective, which, in
>>> turn, has made our researchers more effective,? said Keith Gray,
>>> manager of high-performance computing for BP Upstream Digital
>>> Business. ?Our researchers no longer have to wake up in the middle of
>>> night to check on status of jobs.
>>>
>>> ?We?ve found that our researchers can support bigger projects because
>>> of the easy-to-use queuing environment that GridEngine offers. If
>>> fact, we?ve found cases where we?ve seen 10- to 15-percent
>>> improvement in some clusters because of GridEngine,? Gray said.

>>> Subject
>>> Re: [GE users] logo/mascot of GridEngine?
>>>

>>> The updated version has corrected the naming problem, and added the
>>> SGE logo:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Grid_Engine
>>>
>>> BTW, there are _way to many_ names for SGE...
>>>
>>> Rayson

    [ Part 2, Application/PDF (Name: "ancestry.pdf") 4.6 KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3: "Attached Text" ]