[GE users] Problem using a hostgroup in -masterq and not in -q

Pascal GILGENKRANTZ pascal.gilgenkrantz at st.com
Fri Jun 30 09:42:53 BST 2006

Hello,

We are facing an issue with the PE -masterq usage. The goal is to make
sure that our PE job will run its "master" job only on our "@masters"
hostgroup, and all others sub-jobs of the PE in our "@slaves" hostgroup.
But, with Grid Engine 6.0u8, it's *impossible* to run a PE job like this:
% qsub -pe my_pe 10 -q q1@@slaves -masterq q1@@masters <command>
the result is a job pending forever, with qstat -r always complaining:
"cannot run in PE "my_pe" because it only offers 100 slots" whereas I
requested only 10 slots...

One way of make it working is to add the masterq group of host (@masters)
in the -q option. This is not what we want to do, because there is a risk to
allocate another "master" host as a slave, and we need to keep the masters free
for other PE jobs. One solution is to use a soft resource (-soft -l) to specify
that slaves must be used preferably, but still there is a chance to consume
a master when there is a a lack of slave ressources.

One solution would be to be able to specify different hard resources for the -q
and the -masterq options (grid engine issue 75), but it's not implemented.

Please feel free to share your experience if you have the similar problem !

Thanks and Regards,
Pascal