[GE users] projects and secondary group with 6.0u6

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Mar 2 12:24:42 GMT 2006

Andrea,

> I have installed a sge group and a project for the unix group with the name
> install. My user ae106lo is member of the unix group, but it is only a
> secondary group.
> If I submit a job to the project I get the error message
> $ qsub -P install testbloeb
> Unable to run job: job rejected: no access to project "install" for user
> "ae106lo".
> Exiting.
>
> I can only submit the job, after I have changed the primary group with the
> command newgrp.
> Why cannot sge handle secondary groups?

It's not a bug but the way how Grid Engine is designed. Only the Unix
user name and primary Unix user group is used to verify access of users to
Grid Engine cluster, hosts and queues etc.

The user first needs to do a "newgrp" to get the primary group id of the
"install" group before submitting the job.

Andy