[GE users] cputime for parallel jobs does not reflect the number of cpus used

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Thu Mar 2 15:23:11 GMT 2006

Nicolas Bock wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2006, at 4:38 PM, Craig Tierney wrote:
>
>> Nicolas Bock wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>> I was looking into how my resource usage changes after a job finishes
>>> and noticed the following: When I submit a parallel job to the queue,
>>> the cputime seems to only increment by the cputime used on the head
>>> node of that job. It does not seem to increment by the sum of the
>>> cputimes across all nodes. Is there a way to change that?
>>> nick
>>
>> Is your system setup with tight-integration?  Are you trying to figure
>> out how to charge for resources, or are you trying to gain insight to
>> what the code was doing?
>
> The system is not using tight integration. And I am trying to charge
> resources correctly. Currently users with MPI jobs get an unfair
> advantage over serial job submitters since they are charged only for the
> head node CPUtime.

If you want to charge correctly, then it should be wallclock time
times the number of CPUS.  Is it fair if a user requests 32 cpus
and only uses 24?  What if their script does significant serial work
in their script (IO manipulation for instance) and doesn't use all of
the CPUS the whole time?  They requested them, they should be charged
for them.

I have used this method (NCPUS*wallclock) in several instances and
management always thought it was more appropriate after I explained it
to them.

Craig