[GE users] can't get password entry for user

Jinal Jhaveri jajhaveri at lbl.gov
Thu Mar 2 17:41:47 GMT 2006

Hi All,

 From few days, were are seeing following errors for few jobs.

can't get password entry for user "kfelkins". Either the user does not
exist or NIS error!
error reason  453:          can't get password entry for user
"kfelkins". Either the user does not exist or NIS error!
error reason  454:          can't get password entry for user
"kfelkins". Either the user does not exist or NIS error!

and thus leading the node in error state.

The error doesn't happen for a particular user but randomly for various
users. I didn't get much information from the execd code except that
sge_getpwnam , which in turn calls getpwnam , fails. sge_getpwnam
doesn't specifically tell what error did it receive from getpwnam. I saw
several emails in the group, but none of those situation apply to us.
The user is definitely configured correctly on that node and this error
happens only randomly.  Also qconf -suserl does show the name of that user.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated

thank you

--Jinal