[GE users] cputime for parallel jobs does not reflect the number of cpus used

Jean-Paul Minet minet at cism.ucl.ac.be
Fri Mar 3 08:21:53 GMT 2006

Nick,

1) tight integration is described in

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/mpich-integration.html

The principle is that, when a job is started, SGE is creating in the $TMP
directrory a temporary link to $SGE_HOME/utilbin/$ARCH/rsh, and modifies the
PATH env variable so that the SGE rsh is used instead of your default rsh.  For
this to work, your mpich should not be compiled/configured to use /usr/bin/rsh,
but simply rsh.

2) I have tight integration setup at our place, and qstat -ext doesn't report
correctly cpu time.  It indeed reports only cpu time of the head node.
Nevertheless, using "qstat -j JobID" reports the correct accumulated cpu time.
It also seems resource usage calculation (for fair share scheduling) does work
correctly (adding contributions from all process).

Hope this helps

Rgds

Jean-paul

Nicolas Bock wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2006, at 9:07 AM, Ron Chen wrote:
>
>> When tight integration is on, and you logon to the nodes that
>> have the slave MPI tasks, do you see the MPI slave tasks started
>> by the SGE shepherd?
>

> Yes, they are. I noticed however that not all of my nodes run
> sge_shepherd. That's not good, is it?
>
> nick

Jean-Paul Minet
Gestionnaire CISM - Institut de Calcul Intensif et de Stockage de Masse
Université Catholique de Louvain
Tel: (32) (0)10.47.35.67 - Fax: (32) (0)10.47.34.52