[GE users] High and low priority queues, no starvation, minimum oversubscription

Ian Fasel ianfasel at mplab.ucsd.edu
Sat Mar 4 02:10:30 GMT 2006

Thanks Charu,

That is getting closer, but the problem I'm trying to solve isn't
really about a preference for one machine.  Rather, we want each user
to be guaranteed at least N slots, and we want other jobs on hosts
where a guaranteed job gets scheduled to try to get out of the way,
but not be stopped completely (thus it is allowed for a cpu to be
temporarily oversubscribed).
So -- a submitted job first tries to use one of your guaranteed
slots.  If you've already used all of the guaranteed slots you are
entitled to, use a shared slot.  However, the pool of available
shared slots decreases by the number of guaranteed slots in use by
anybody --except that jobs that are in a shared slot get
"grandfathered" in if the host they are on needs to satisfy someone
else's guarantee.

-Ian