[GE users] Upgrade from 6.0u1 -> 6.0u7_1 and changing from bdb server spool to bdb file spool.

Marco Donauer - SUN Microsystems Marco.Donauer at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 7 16:05:12 GMT 2006

Hello Stefan,

you can use the backup and restore option of the install script.
With inst_sge -bup the complete database and all necessary files will be
backuped.
If you have additional file anywhere please also do a backup of these.
With inst_sge -restore you can restore the databse the the files.
But becare ful, the backup restore also the bootstrap file, this is used
for restore.
The bootstrap file provides the info if the spooling is on server or on
files.

I would propose the following:

1. inst_sge -bup (not into a tar/gz archive, you will be asked for), and
backup "your" files
2. install the new system with bdb file spooling (no bdb server)
3. change the bootstrap files, take the old with server info out and
copy in the bootstrap from new installation
4. inst_sge -restore
5. do your personal settings.

This is the first time I know, where this procedure is done, so please
always do backups.
As I know, the direct upgrade from u1 to u7 is no possible, due to
database changes, you have to go over u2 I guess. But this is described
within the upgrade doc.

Regards,
Marco