[GE users] limiting the physical memory and virtual memory usage on a host

Jinal Jhaveri jajhaveri at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 8 19:44:24 GMT 2006

Thanks Reuti,

I would like to avoid the user to request how much they need because
that will require change in the scripts they have written. So if I
execute the following command:

qconf -mattr exechost complex_values mem_total=3.5G  `qselect`
and
qconf -mattr exechost complex_values virtual_total=5G `qselect`

will it do it?

The total physical memory on my system is 4G and swap space is 5.3

OR you think that
making the complex virtual_free consumable and requestable and default it to 2G or something (though I don't want users to have to change their scripts and specifically ask for that much free vmem).

The reason I am asking all these questions is that,
sometimes we have issues where multiple memory intensive jobs are scheduled to the same node and due to that either they are thrashing or some of them seg fault putting the node in error state. I would like to avoid that
situation.

Thanks
--Jinal